From DIY heroes to local deck contractors, there are numerous people who will benefit from this video. Understanding how simple it can be for even beginners to lay a deck in just three days gives some real insights into the simplicity of deck building. Here’s a quick guide to building a deck fast.
- Materials: Deck builders should take advice on materials from an experienced professional or visit a local hardware store and give them the deck dimensions. They can use this to run up a materials list.
- Footings: Check the local building codes to understand what footings a deck must have. Codes also give the required length and width for decking joists.
- Tools: Ensure drills have enough torque to deal with fixtures that need to go right into the walls of the house.
- Caulking: Caulk or flash any gaps between the deck and the house to prevent rot.
- Joist hangers: These connect the joists to the ledger board and must be attached correctly to both pieces of wood all the way along for a strong deck. Other techniques like double-framing and ensuring deck boards end on a joist also add strength.
Remember, not everyone can build a deck by themselves, and that’s okay! Ambitious DIYers should get experienced help from local deck contractors. In addition, follow the tips in the above short guide to deck building.